Star-Crossed Style: I’m raiding my cosmic closet
We are living in extraordinarily strange times, though I’m sure you’ve noticed. Everything is uncertain, hearsay, cannot be confirmed or is only vaguely potential. Similarly, where fashion is concerned, I think we’re collectively looking to more unconventional sources for some inspiration. Just like a few days ago when I decided to look to the stars. More accurately, my natal (or birth) chart. I’ve often heard people referring to their rising or moon signs but had no idea what they were, or specifically what mine were. Realising I needed an astrological level-up, I began my soul-searching. Without any actual questions, I set out to find some answers.
That notion essentially escalated into a feverish three-day investigation into my inner self. Though, dismissing suggestions that I might be overanalysing with a flippant “That’s just my Virgo Rising!” makes it all seem worthwhile.
I thought it would be entertaining to put my information in the context of fashion. So, I have taken my Sun, Moon and Rising signs and made each of them a style profile. My theory being that, just as my personality, my personal style might also be the result of their fusion. All three girls are individually a lot cooler than I am, so if you need me, I’ll be desperately channelling. I’m calling this “raiding my cosmic closet”, as (hypothetically) they’re part of me already. At this point, they’ve pretty much become characters in their own right. I think they need a spin-off series or something, I’ve got the next Sex and the City on my hands.
Let’s start off with Miss Scorpio Sun: Grown-up Grunge
- – She likes dark colours, dark humour and drama. She’s glam, but never overdoes it.
- – Basically a long-lost Hadid sister.
- – Has a surprising soft-spot for cat-eye sunglasses. Doesn’t limit their use to Summer.
- – Spotted in: Unlikely tops layered beneath dresses. An oversized jacket that might slouch off one shoulder with cool-girl nonchalance. Check prints. Chunky boots and sleek jewellery.
- – Never seen without a bag- claims it’s full of secrets. It definitely is, and yours are in there somewhere.
Moving on to Miss Aries Moon: The Fiery Fashionista
- – Swears wearing any shade of red lipstick is a total power move.
- – She’s a bit of a princess but a fashionable force to be reckoned with
- – Spotted in: This season’s hottest emerging designer, or Prada. Statement heels and sparkly accessories. Neon, animal print or both at once. Athleisure.
- – Most likely to pull off anything and everything, constantly pushing fashion boundaries.
- – Refers to causing a scene as “making an impression”. Maximum extra 24/7.
And finally, Miss Virgo Rising: Sharp in Every Sense
- – Believes that God is a woman, and her name is Anna Wintour.
- – Spotted in: A Head to toe monochromatic/ tonal look- occasionally beige but never boring. Silk scarves. Expensive eyewear that allows her to take everything in. Walkable heels that make her the exact height of elegance.
- – Has mastered the slick, polished ponytail.
- – She noticed the tiny stain on your top the minute you moved into her eyeline but likes you more for it.
- – Lives in a gorgeous apartment but it’s uncharacteristically shambolic.
Opening image: collage by @marianopeccinetti